Skip to main content

Reflecting on Mathematics

    As I progress through each week, I feel like my ability to connect to maths and sciences in a different light is slowly progressing. I am able to approach these subjects from different perspectives, which will benefit my teaching pedagogy in order to engage all of my students. As we all know, not every student learns the same, and as a teacher, it is essential for us to understand how we can adapt our approaches to subjects in order to meet the needs of all students. This was shown extremely well through the activity where we were tasked with creating a shape with building cubes, to create a shape with the smallest surface area. Although we were given a task, we were not told how we had to find a solution; we were simply given the tools to find a solution in our own ways. For someone like myself, who did not have a positive outlook on mathematics growing up, I found this activity engaging because I was able to come up with a solution in my own way; there was no "right" way it had to be solved.

    When reading the chapter, there was a quotation that really stuck out to me; it was, "... for bringing mathematics to life and for bringing it into one's life..." (Davis et. al., 2019).  This is a crucial
quotation as it emphasizes the importance of relating mathematics to students' lives so they are able to see the meaning of mathematics. During these weeks, we dove into conceptual learning and how we can bring smaller, building pieces to solve a larger problem. I especially gravitated toward this theory because it allows students to build upon their pre-existing knowledge to solve a problem. It is important to have an interesting approach to teaching mathematics because of how disengaging it can be for some students.

    For so many years, mathematics has always been looked at as strictly calculations involving numbers and symbols; however, it is slowly adapting to more of an emphasis on experiences, activity, and analogy. I found it extremely interesting how storytelling in mathematics can be used to bring teachable moments to the classroom. It is all about how the teacher is able to relate mathematics to the students' lives so they can find those meaningful moments. The concept of modeling is an adequate method to assist students in connecting with their methods. Analogies and metaphors give students the opportunity to develop mathematical lenses that are transferable for any problem that they face. It develops a deeper foundational understanding of mathematics that students can use in real-life situations.


Davis, B., Francis, K., & Friesen, S. (2019). STEM. In STEM education by design: Opening horizons of possibility (pp. 1-12). essay, Routledge.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Few Weeks...

 These first few weeks have me reflecting on what education is to me and how everyone's encounter with it does not necessarily reflect the same as my own. I have quickly realized that there is no right answer to what education is, it is what is most useful to the individual. My concept of what education is has been influenced by my own experiences; causing the creation of a subconscious bias. Reflecting on the first few weeks of the course content, it is extremely evident how there are many external influences on STEM education. Some of the ones that caught my attention were the growing use of technology within a classroom and its impact on education, as well as the influence of various teaching pedagogies. As someone who is not directly in the STEM field, I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to my peers' insights on the topics from their STEM perspectives. Diving into our discussions about the impact of technology in today's society, it highlights how evident the use of tec...

Wrapping it Up!

     'Tis the season for final assignments and preparing for exams! As we wrap up our course, I am encouraged to reflect on the key takeaways from this semester. As someone who is in the Physical Education stream, I have not had direct exposure to STEM subject fields; however, one of the things I have come to realize is that there are traces of STEM within every subject. This course has allowed me to understand the various tools that I can incorporate in a classroom to allow students exposure to STEM-based learning.       Using all the knowledge we have learned over the course of the semester, we were able to put those pedagogies into action by facilitating a STEM activity for the class. The past two weeks of activities have been an eye-opening experience, as it has allowed me to witness various teaching methods in realistic scenarios. Every group was able to show their own ways of how they would teach a STEM lesson. Many of my fellow classmates are in...